It is the policy of this department to establish a ride along program in an effort to enhance the mutual respect of police officers and the community. This program will provide its participants with a greater understanding of law enforcement in our community.
- All participants must be at least 18 years of age or have guardian approval.
- All participants must complete an application and waiver of liability form.
- An application and a copy of a photo identification must be turned in together.
- Completed applications will be reviewed by the Shift Commander.
- Application review will will include a records check and a criminal background check. An applicant with a felony record or misdemeanor record that involves moral turpitude or dishonesty may be excluded from participation in this program.
- Once approved, the applicant will be notified and assigned a date for the ride-along.
- Participants shall only be allowed to participate in this program once every 12 months.
- Participants should report to the police department 15 minutes prior to their scheduled participation.
DUTIES OF THE PARTICIPANT
- Participants shall play no active role in the police function. They must only act as an observer unless otherwise directed.
- Participants shall not be allowed to operate any police equipment.
- Participants must remain in the police vehicle at all times unless otherwise directed.
- Participants must not speak to victims, witnesses, prisoners, or other persons associated with a police event.
- Participants shall not bring cameras or any other recording devices without the express permission of the Chief of Police.
- Participants shall not enter any person's home while participating in the ride along program.
- Participants shall not be allowed to carry any firearm or other weapon, even when authorized by law, while participating in the ride along program.
- Participants should be dressed in comfortable, casual, but conservative clothing during the ride along. Participants who are inappropriately dressed shall not be allowed to participate in the program on the assigned date.